Heat pumps are a popular fixture in UK households, and for good reason. They offer innumerable benefits to homeowners, including energy savings, a smaller carbon footprint, and more.
Daikin is a leading air conditioning and refrigeration company that specialises in the design and production of conditioning and heating solutions for residential, commercial and industrial applications.
Based out of Osaka, Japan, they operate on a global scale and have been in business for over 90 years.
Daikin is known for its extensive range of products, and especially its heat pumps, which are some of the most prominent of their kind on the market.
Air Source Heat Pumps
In a broad sense, air source heat pumps (ASHPs) are electrically powered systems that transfer heat from the air outside to either the inside of a building, or to a body of water. Air source heat pumps can be used for both heating and cooling purposes, making them a versatile option for climate control.
There are two main types of air source heat pumps; Air to Air and Air to Water. Air-to-air which take heat from the outside air and transfers it to the inside air of a building. Air to Water take heat from the outside air and transfer it to water, which can then be used for radiant floor heating, forced hot water systems, or swimming pools.
Daikin offers both types of air source heat pumps, giving their customers a broad range of options to choose from. In this article, we will provide an overview of some of their most popular, as well as some of their key features and benefits.
Daikin Air-To-Air Heat Pumps
Daikin air-to-air heat pumps are commonly used in residences, but can also be used in commercial buildings. They work by extracting heat from the air outside and transferring it to the air inside, providing both heating and cooling capabilities. Daikin air-to-air heat pumps are available in a variety of different styles and sizes, so they can be tailored to the specific needs of any given space. The following are some of their most popular models.
Daikin Ururu Sarara Review
The Daikin Ururu Sarara is a wall mounted air ventilation unit designed to deliver optimal performance through a minimal, non-disruptive design. It features a unique, self-cleaning air purification system that breaks down and removes airborne contaminants, making it ideal for spaces where indoor air quality is a concern. The Ururu Sarara is also one of the quietest models in the Daikin lineup, operating at just 23dBA – about the same as a whisper.
The Ururu Sarara has lots of advantages to boast, including the following:
- Great Energy Efficiency. Ururu Sarara is designed to extract 80% of its power from air and only 20% from electricity. It's extremely energy efficient in terms of both heating and cooling, making it an excellent choice for environmentally conscious consumers.
- Advanced Comfort. The Ururu Sarara’s three-area motion detection system intelligently directs air away from people and even switches into energy-saving mode automatically when it detects an empty space.
- Quality Design. With its quiet operation, auto-cleaning filter and other comprehensive features, the Ururu Sarara fits the definition of an all-around quality product. It's design is both practical and efficient, making it ideal for a range of interiors and lifestyles.
While many who own the Ururu Sarara will agree it excels in a number of areas, there are some caveats to be aware of when it comes to this particular unit. Cons include:
- Higher Price Point. The Ururu Sarara is one of the more expensive options in the Daikin lineup, which may not be feasible for everyone.
- Installation Can Be Difficult. The Ururu Sarara is a wall-mounted unit, which can be challenging to install if you don't have the necessary tools or experience. It's always best to consult with a professional prior to attempting any type of installation yourself.
- If something does go wrong with the Ururu Sarara, repair can be difficult since it's not a common unit in the brand's lineup. Some technicians are less familiar with this specific model, and as a result, may not be able to repair it as easily as other products.
Daikin Emura Review
The Daikin Emura air-to-air heat pump is a wall mounted unit that delivers both heating and cooling capabilities. It features a sleek, modern design that is meant to blend in with its surroundings, measuring only 90 cm in width. It's also built with a very user-centric design, including a remote control and easy-to-understand interface.
There are many reasons why the Daikin Emura is a popular choice, including the following:
- Smart Airflow. The Daikin Emura's curved front and back panel design allows for more efficient airflow than traditional flat panel designs. This helps to improve the unit's energy efficiency and ensures that your space is evenly heated or cooled.
- Smart Controls. The Daikin Emura features a smart control system that allows you to easily adjust the unit's settings. The remote control is handy for adjusting the system as needed, as is the Onecta app, which allows you to operate your heat pump from the convenience of your phone.
- Unparalleled Design. This heat pump is among Daikin's most aesthetically pleasing, embodying a sleek, minimal design that allows it to easily blend into any room. It's also available in three colours, giving you plenty of flexibility in how you want your space to look.
While the Daikin Emura has a lot to offer, there are some potential drawbacks to be aware of.
- Absence Of Dehumidifier Option. One feature that is notably absent from the Daikin Emura is a dehumidifier function. This means that if you live in an area with high humidity, this unit may not be ideal for you.
- Not Suitable For Large Spaces. The Daikin Emura is best suited for smaller spaces, as it's only able to effectively heat or cool areas up to about 30 square metres. If you have a larger space, you may want to consider another option.
Daikin Air-To-Water Heat Pumps
Air-to-water heat pumps are popular in Europe and are slowly gaining popularity in other parts of the world. They work by extracting heat from the air and transferring it to water, which is then circulated through a home or building to provide heating. Daikin manufactures a number of different air-to-water heat pumps, each with its own set of features and benefits. The proceeding are two of their most notable offerings.
Daikin Altherma 3 R Review
The Daikin Altherma 3 R is the third generation of the Altherma air-to-water heat pump series. It embodies many upgrades and improvements from preceding models within the lineup, and comes in both wall mounted and floor standing units. These systems are considered ideal for new construction or renovation projects.
There are many reasons to consider the Daikin Altherma 3 R for your home or business, including the following.
- Flexible Installation Options. The Daikin Altherma 3 R is available in both wall mounted and floor standing units, giving you flexibility in how you want to install it. This can be helpful if you're limited on space or have specific installation requirements. What's more, they're specifically designed to be easily installed, set up and managed.
- Compact Design. Among some of the changes made in this third generation model is a more compact design. The Daikin Altherma 3 R has a redesigned fan system and new, minimal casing, making it more sleek and unobtrusive.
- High Efficiency. This heat pump has an impressive energy efficiency rating of A++, meaning it's one of the most efficient models on the market. It also features a low noise operation, so you can enjoy your space in peace.
- Limited Area Coverage. The Daikin Altherma 3 R has a single fan and is only able to effectively heat or cool smaller spaces. If you have a larger home or business, this may not be the best option for you.
Choosing The Right Heat Pump For Your Needs
When it comes to choosing the right heat pump for your needs, there are a number of factors to consider. This includes everything from the size and functionality of your heat pump to the way it looks. Determine which of the following matters most to you and use that to inform your decision.
The Size Of Your Space
One of the most important things to consider when choosing a heat pump is the size of your space. This will determine everything from the type of heat pump you need to its cooling and heating capacity.
For smaller spaces, you can generally get away with a smaller, more compact heat pump. But for larger homes or businesses, you'll need a heat pump that's specifically designed for larger spaces. This will ensure that it can effectively heat and cool your area without any issues.
Your budget is another important factor to keep in mind when choosing a heat pump. Heat pumps can vary widely in price, depending on their size, features and more.
Be sure to set a budget for yourself before beginning your search. This will help you narrow down your options and find a heat pump that's both affordable and meets your needs.
The Climate You Live In
The climate you live in should also be taken into account when choosing a heat pump. If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, you'll need a heat pump that's specifically designed to withstand those conditions.
On the other hand, if you live in a more moderate climate, you may not need a heat pump with as many features or that's as heavy duty. This can help you save money on your purchase.
Some heat pumps can be quite noisy, especially when first turning on. If you're someone who prefers a more peaceful environment, you may want to look for a heat pump that's specifically designed for low noise operation.
The way your heat pump looks is also something to consider, especially if it will be installed in a visible area. If you want your heat pump to blend in with your space, look for a model with a sleek, compact design.
Another thing to consider when choosing a heat pump is the unit configuration. There are two main types of configurations to choose from: wall mounted and floor standing.
Wall mounted heat pumps are the more popular option. They're easily installed on any wall in your home and don't take up a lot of space. Floor standing heat pumps are a good choice for larger spaces or if you want a more powerful unit.
Ease Of Installation
Another thing you'll want to consider is how easy the heat pump is to install. If you're comfortable installing it yourself, you'll want to choose a heat pump that comes with easy-to-follow instructions.
There are a number of different heat pumps on the market that can be installed by almost anyone. However, if you have any doubts, it's always best to hire a professional to do the job for you.
When choosing a heat pump, you'll also want to consider its energy efficiency. This is important because it can ultimately save you money on your energy bills.
Look for a heat pump that has a high SEER rating. The higher the rating, the more efficient the heat pump is.
Finally, you'll want to consider the maintenance requirements of the heat pump. Some heat pumps require very little maintenance, while others require more.
Be sure to read the product manual carefully to see what's required. You may also want to ask a professional about the best way to maintain your heat pump.
When choosing a heat pump, whether it's Daikin or any other brand, there are a number of factors you'll need to consider. By taking all of these factors into account and being aware of your needs, you'll be sure to find the perfect heat pump for your home or business.