About The Samsung Brand
Originally founded as a grocery trading store, Samsung has been a leading name in the business world since 1938. Although it started in South Korea, it is today a global company with a presence in over 80 countries. The company comprises numerous subsidiaries and affiliated businesses, all of which come under the Samsung brand name.
The company is known for its innovative and high-quality products, which range from electronics and appliances to semiconductors and ships. Samsung is also a major player in the global HVAC market, with its products being used in both commercial and residential settings.
Samsung Heat Pumps
Samsung is a well-known and respected manufacturer of heat pumps and mainly focuses production on its EHS (Ecological and Economical Heating System) series. This collection includes several unique models that have all been designed to address consumers needs for increased energy efficiency and better environmental protection.
There are three types of Samsung EHS heat pumps, each with their own variations:
- EHS Mono
- EHS Split
- EHS TDM
All of the units in this series feature a variety of innovative technologies that make them some of the most efficient and effective heat pumps available on the market today. Through the following, we'll review their individual specifications as well as list some of the advantages and disadvantages of each model.
EHS Mono R32 Heat Pump
The EHS Mono R32 Heat Pump is a monobloc air source heat pump designed for outdoor installation in both residential and commercial properties. It comes with an output of 16kw and is capable of reliably generating hot water temperatures of up to 65 °C.
With a large yet thoughtfully packaged build, this heat pump offers homeowners the possibility of power and usability in tandem. The unit maintains a width similar to many standard models on the market at 940 millimeters, while its height excels conventional size at 1,420 millimeters from top to bottom. This makes the Mono R32 a planar space-saving solution while still affording it the strength and capacity necessary to deliver good performance.
With a water flow rate of 46.2/40.4 LPM and an airflow rate of 118 CMM, this heat pump can generate a respectable degree of power when compared to other air source products. It's also notably tough, being able to operate in cooling mode between temperature ranges of 10~46 ℃ and in heating mode between -25~35 ℃.
The main hallmark of the EHS Mono R32's design is its orientation towards environmental sustainability. The heat pump uses R32 refrigerant, which is considered a newer, more sustainable alternative to traditional options, and touts a Global Warming Potential of only 675.
What makes the EHS Mono R32 so popular? Let's take a look at some of its best features:
- Great energy efficiency. The EHS Mono R32 is capable of operating at a COP of 4.42, which is above average for heat pumps of its size and air source products in general.
- Wide operating temperature range. With the ability to consistently provide heat at temperatures as low as -25 ℃ and to cool in those as high as 35 ℃, the Mono R32 is well suited for a variety of climates and potential applications.
- Environmentally friendly. This model's low GWP makes it a great option for those who are looking for an environmentally-conscious home heating solution.
There are some potential drawbacks to going with the Mono R32. These include:
- Difficult to find spare parts. Some homeowners with the EHS MonoR32 have reported difficulty finding spare parts for their units.
- Louder compared to other models. Operating at a sound power level of, 68 dBA this heat pump is one of the louder models in Samsung's collection.
EHS Mono HT Quiet R32 Heat Pump, 14.0kW
The EHS Mono HT (High Temperature) Quiet R32 heat pump is a reimagination of the basic EHS Mono in several ways. For starters, it comes in multiple outputs of 8.0 kW, 12.0 kW, and 14.0 kW, offering buyers a degree of control over the power they want in their purchase. It also embodies a slightly different configuration than its counterpart, measuring larger lengthwise at 1270 x 1018 millimeters.
But where the EHS Mono High-Temperature Quiet R32 really stands out is its performance. As its name implies, this model is capable of delivering extremely high output temperatures - up to 70 °C for domestic heating purposes. It is also incredibly quiet, having been built specifically with the intent of being as unobtrusive as possible. Thanks to a built-in 4-step Quiet Mode, this heat pump can operate at noise levels as low as 35dBA2.
And of course, because the EHS Mono HT Quiet uses R32refrigerant, it comes with the same low GWP and environmentally-friendly profile as the standard model.
There are tons of advantages to investing in the EHS Mono HT Quiet R32. Here are some of the most noteworthy:
- Durable. This model features enhanced anti-corrosion capabilities on its heat exchanger and chassis for a longer lifespan and more reliable performance.
- High COP. The EHS Mono HT Quiet R32 is notably more efficient than the basic EHS Mono with a COP of 5.05.
- Options for upgrades. The Mono HT Quiet R32 can be remotely controlled with Samsung's SmartThings integration.
Every product has its flaws, and the EHS Mono HT Quiet R32 is no exception. Here are some reasons to think twice before choosing this model:
- Heavier. This heat pump is slightly heavier than the basic EHS Mono, weighing 137 kg compared to 110 kg.
- Slower airflow. The EHS Mono HT Quiet logs a slower airflow rate than its counterpart at 95 CMM.
EHS Split Standard Heat Pump
Mainly built for business applications, the EHS Split Standard Heat Pump offers property owners a reliable solution to their heating needs. It consists of an indoor and outdoor unit that works together to generate 16 kW of power and is designed to be used for a range of purposes. The Split Standard is compatible with underfloor heating, hot water, and radiator systems, and can even work with additional products like thermostats, solar panels, and back-up boilers. It's built for high performance in all-season use with the ability to cool at temperatures between 10 ℃ and 46 ℃ and heat in outdoor ambient temperatures as low as -25 ℃.
Thanks to a three-phase power supply, the EHS Split Standard enjoys a stable current that is less likely to fluctuate and cause operational disruption. This product is also quiet, having been built with a low-noise fan and Silent Mode that automatically engaged at night.
Home owners choose the EHS Split standard for many reasons, such as:
- Flexible. The EHS Split Standard Heat Pump can operate in tandem with a variety of existing heating systems, making it an extremely versatile and flexible product.
- Three-phase power supply. A three-phase power supply enables the Split Standard to offer exceptional operational efficiency and performance.
- Built to be quiet. This heat pump's built-in night time Silent Mode makes it easy for homeowners to enjoy peace and quiet while they sleep.
There are some drawbacks to going with the EHS Split Standard Heat Pump. This includes:
- High GWP. This product uses R410A refrigerant and has a GWP of2088, which is notably higher than most other models in Samsung's lineup.
- Lower energy efficiency. While generally efficient, the EHS Split Standard's A+ rating doesn't necessarily excel other air source heat pumps in energy efficiency.
EHS Split R32 Heat Pump
The EHS Split R32 Heat Pump is a smaller alternative to the standard EHS Split. It too comes with an indoor and outdoor unit, but unlike its counter part is only available in a lower power output of 9.0kW. This air source heat pump is capable of offering hot water outputs of 65 °C in a broad range of conditions - in ambient temperatures as low as -25 °C and as high as 43 °C. It's also one of the more compact options on this list, measuring at a height and width of 998 by 940 millimeters and weighing only 73kg.
The Split R32 has been designed with several bells and whistles, namely a wired remote control for easy operation and a four-step Quiet Mode that allows it to operate with a sound power level as low as 35dB.
But what is arguably this product's biggest feature, the EHS Split R32 has been specifically built to operate with a much smaller carbon footprint than the standard model, using environmentally-friendly R32 refrigerant and creating a GWP of only 675. What's more, it operates with coefficient of performance of 4.81, making it a cost-effective and tangible solution for buyers who value sustainability and eco-friendly products.
There are several reasons to get the EHS Split R32 Heat Pump for your home, like:
- Lower carbon footprint. With its R32 refrigerant and environmentally-conscious design, the EHS Split R32 boasts a GWP of 675 and decent energy efficiency.
- Super quiet. This heat pump is built with a four-step Quiet Mode that allows users to seamlessly adjust the sound it generates to levels as low as 35dB.
- Easy operation. A wired remote control with a large color display and multilingual support make it easy to control your unit's settings.
Are there any down sides to this heat pump? Let's take a look:
- Lower air and water flow rate. The EHS Split R32 has an air and water flow rate notably lower than other products on this list at 66 CPM and26/25.1 LPM respectively.
- Less power. With only9.0kW of power, this heat pump is one of the weaker options when compared to some of Samsung's other models.
EHS TDM Plus High Efficiency Heat Pump
The EHS TDM Plus High-Efficiency Heat Pump is an all-in-one solution for homeowners in need of a product that can reliably provide them with temperature-controlled water and air.
With 16kW of power, this three-phase unit is designed for two functionalities - domestic hot water and space heating - and is capable of offering users a maximum flow rate of 123 CPM.
TDM Technology is what allows the product to be so effective, providing homeowners with a faster and more efficient means of controlling temperatures. This is done by emitting hot air in addition to under-floor heating, which works together to warm up interior spaces faster.
Why go with the EHS TDM Plus High Efficiency? Here are a few reasons homeowners love it:
- Good airflow. A rate of 123 CMM makes the EHS TDM Plus High Efficiency Heat Pump the top product on this list for airflow.
- Quick heating. TDM Technology enables this product to generate heat in a faster and more efficient manner.
- Space and cost-effectiveness. The all-in-one design means that this product doesn't take up a lot of space, and is a more affordable option than buying separate products for heating and hot water.
Some of the potential downsides to this product include:
- Higher environmental impact. The use of R410A refrigerant gives EHS TDM Plus High Efficiency a higher Global Warming Potential of 2088.
- Louder operation. Logging 73 dBA, this heat pump operates at sound power levels much higher than many other air source heat pumps.
How Much Does A Samsung Heat Pump Cost?
Good question. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a single answer. Because of the different features, capacities, and efficiencies that heat pumps offer, there is a wide range of prices that these products can be found for.
That being said, you can expect to spend anywhere from £6,000 –£12,000 on a Samsung heat pump.
Of course, the price you ultimately pay will be greatly influenced by the specific model you choose as well as the contractor you work with to install it.
It can also be reduced through eligibility for the government renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) program, which offers payments to those who generate heat using renewable sources like air source heat pumps.
As you can see, there are a lot of great reasons to consider Samsung heat pumps for your home. But as with any major purchase, it's important to do your research to ensure that you're getting the best possible product for your needs and budget.
We hope this article has been helpful in giving you a better understanding of what Samsung heat pumps have to offer. With a little time and consideration, you should be able to find the perfect model for your home.